Skip to main content

August 2020 Monthly Ornament: Oh Gnome She Betta Don't!

These puns are not even good bad puns, I apologize (I don't). This month's ornament is again super tiny! Actually, he's finished on the same size wooden chip as July's Demon Santa.

I stitched this little fellow over one on white 28 count DMC Monaco fabric (it was my last piece and I'm kind of sad, I love that stuff). I used almost exclusively étoile floss from DMC - just his little nose is regular DMC 950! The base pattern is from NikkiPattern's Christmas Gnome Set, but I changed all the colours - the beard matches The Frenchman! I've made two of these gnomes now and I'll make at least two more for friends of mine, I think. One will have a blond beard and one a black beard! I'll try to get a picture all together before they go off to their respective homes.

I do love finishing ornaments this way. Just wrapped around a little piece of wood or cardboard, glued at the back, and embellished with a few ribbons! Super duper easy, although I will admit this one is perhaps a bit plain. Maybe some strategically glued sequin snowballs...

On the non-stitchy front, I'm settling in a bit more at work these days. I don't know that I'd say the work is thrilling, but hey, it's something, and I like my team which is always great! (It certainly helps that one of the team is a friend from grad school.) I'm hoping to start playing volleyball again sometime soon. The league I normally play in is running a shortened fall beach season, with COVID protections, so... maybe.

The Frenchman and I have been able to plan basically nothing wedding-wise. We did decide on waiting until 2022 though. I'm totally ok with that as... you know... pandemic... but the thought of planning a wedding is quite something! We'll get there. 

Happy long weekend everyone!

- Cedie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WIP Wednesday: Fall is Nigh!

 Fall. Is. My. FAVOURITE. Seriously. It's very basic of me but I love everything about fall. I loved school, so I loved back to school shopping, getting all my new notebooks and pens and erasers, heading out to the bus on the first day (or walking 4.5 km to school once I was in high school) and putting together my locker. I love the cooler weather, and wearing leggings and sweaters and flannels. I love the smell of backyard fires (I can't actually have one since I live in an apartment, but just wait!), the way dead leaves smell, walking the Phteven and crunching every step. I think pumpkin spice is delicious , and I love wearing hats and gloves, and burning candles - seriously. I'm obsessed with fall. Now that I've got that crazy person rant out of the way, here's my current WIP. It's Woodland Friends: Racoon by Tiny Modernist , but I don't think it's on their site, as it's in the October 2019 issue of Just Cross Stitch. I've been using all of t

Perception: +10, Alertness: +5, Heart Rate: +17

It's fitting that my first post on this blog is one of the first truly intermediate patterns I've completed (with blended threads, fractional stitches, and backstitching - and french knots, but frankly I omitted those). The pattern in question is Girl-deer with coffee by Maria Brovko, one of my favourite Eastern European designers (keep an eye out for my next post, which will also be one of hers)! I believe I stitched this in early 2018, and I would have framed and hung it late 2018 when The Frenchman and I moved into our current apartment. It's currently hanging about the big comfy chair in our living room - appropriately, I glance at it pretty much every morning while drinking my morning coffee! I completed this project on a 14 count fiddler's aida, most likely by DMC as that's about all you can get in big box craft stores (AKA Michael's) up here in the Great White North. It's stitched over one with the suggested DMC floss, and doing the fractional stitch